January 13, 2011

Planning is Underway!

Tonight I did a quick scan through my first post and realised just how optimistic I was about gaining a placement with the volunteer program!

I think it shows just how disappointed I would have been if I didn't gain a spot, but luckily enough I turned out to be one of the lucky ones. I did scrape through though - - I was the second preference for a position as the Organisational Management Support Officer at Anjali House in Siem Reap, Cambodia.

In the last month or so I have been busily organising my life for the 12 months or so away from home. There is a check list of what must be completed prior to my departure! I have already completed my online mental health check, my medical assessment, my visa (which needs to be sent back to the embassy because it expires before I arrive in country), all of the paperwork confirming my acceptance and been practicing Khmer! There is still so much more to do, and I need to fit all of this around my sisters wedding, organising a hen's party, working part time at Glory, normal activities and of course full time work at Notre Dame!

I'm really looking forward to my pre-departure training in Canberra at the end of Feb/start of March and meeting all of the other volunteers, especially those that will be moving to Cambodia with me. It seems like they are a great bunch of people, we have been having a meet and greet via email.

Can't wait for April 25th and my arrival in Phnom Penh, then I'll only have to wait a week or so until I get to find a new home in Siem Reap.

2011 is going to be a cracker!! I just hope that the Dockers wait until 2012 to get into the Grand Final so that I can watch it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment