May 18, 2011

First Night on the Job


I received a phone call at about 5.30pm on Sunday night, informing me of a change of plans… That’s cool, a few drinks and maybe some nibbles at the FCC, meet a few people from around Siem Reap… What should I wear... Smart Casual… No problems, see you at 7pm!

Glad I didn’t wear jeans!

It turned out that we were meeting with some reasonably high flyers from Texas. I’m guessing that’s what “I own a few businesses in Texas, oil…’ means? They mustn’t just do drinks and nibbles because I got served a four course meal, I’m really glad that I knew which cutlery to use! I’m also glad that I didn’t have to pick up the bill.

Whilst making witty conversation and trying my best to impress the high flyers (many thanks to Fremantle for the numerous opportunities to hone my skills), I also ‘sold’ a holiday to the trip organisers - the travel agents that were in charge of this particular trip, after all the Kimberly region of WA – especially Broome is “a much better option than Uluru”. Do I get any commission Tourism WA? 

I also met the author of Angkor: Cambodia's Wondrous Khmer Temples, Dawn Rooney. This was very exciting as I had purchased this book prior to my departure. I did have to guility admit to Dawn that I didn’t have the space to fit it in my luggage and was therefore waiting for my first visitor to bring it over with them.

As the night wrapped up and we went our separate ways I got a warning from my Director… “Don’t expect this type of evening to happen regularly whilst you are here, it’s a very unusual event”.

No comments:

Post a Comment