June 10, 2011

The Trip to Work

There are so many differences, and a few similarities, between life in Cambodia and life in Australia.


One of the differences is the trip to and from work. 


I live on the outskirts of Siem Reap, in almost completely the opposite direction to work, which is also on the outskirts of town. However the trip, on by bicycle, only takes about 20 minutes.


I'll give you a quick synopsis of both trips...


PERTH


Say good bye to Mum, and Dad if he happened to be home.
Mum's last words would always be 'drive safe'.
Hop in the car, my little Suzie Swift, switch the channel to Nathan, Nat & Shaun (Nova is good in the morning, but I loved listening to Hamish & Andy in the afternoon, ahhhhh..... Hamish!).
Drive along, giggling to the funny stories, and catching up with the light news of the day.
Spend 40 or so minutes in a bit of a mindless daze, stopping and starting with the flow of the traffic (AND of course the stop signs and traffic lights).
Arrive in Fremantle, decide whether it is worth spending $8 on parking, meaning a shorter walk or $5 on parking. Usually it would depend on how late I was running.
Grab a coffee (and a muffin if I had snoozed too long and missed breakfast).
And finally, I arrive at my destination, ready to begin my work day.


SIEM REAP


Drag my bike out of the house (my land lord doesn't want people trying to get into the property because I have left my vehicle on my verandah).
Say sua si dai (hello) to the lovely girl that spends her mornings sweeping our driveway.
Hop on my bike, get my balance and head towards the gate.
Say sua si dai to my land lord and/or the kids, dependent on who is already out and about.
Start peddling the rocky track, until I reach the bitumen.
Dodge the street carts selling snails, pancakes and a variety of noodles.
Head to town and grab breakfast (If I haven't already eaten), Soup Dragon is the favourite for an Asian breakfast and maybe Jo-to-Go or Central Cafe for Western style.
Start the second half of the trip to work, this part usually includes lots of dogs wandering around, sleeping after a night protecting their property, cows munching on grass, rubbish will be burning outside people's properties, people sawing wood or damming a river and a number of other activities, most of which always blow me away.
Some days you'll hear the faint sound of music, and you'll know that someone had passed away or is getting married, depending on the tune.
I continue peddling.
The bitumen stops and I hit the muddy slush, if it has been raining the night before.
I concentrate really hard on following the secure parts of the route and not slipping into the mud, or worse, the open sewer (I am not looking forward to the first flood - when the sewer meets my road...).
And finally, I arrive at my destination, ready to begin my work day.



No comments:

Post a Comment