April 19, 2011

Five More Sleeps...

My suitcase is now packed, I have fit 33 or so kilograms fitting very snuggly in to my suitcase. I am halfway through my goodbyes and it still hasn't sunk in!






I'M MOVING TO CAMBODIA!


Maybe I am a little crazy, I have no idea what to expect. I lie, I have a little idea about what to expect but I don't know if those expectations will be false or come into fruition! Here's a little of what I expect and then I'll put ticks and crosses next to these assumptions after I've spent some time in Cambodia...

  • For the first bit of my stay, the weather will be kind of drab and depressing, and nothing will be dry... ever... kind of like that Forest Gump quote, 'One day it started raining, and it didn't quit for four months. We been through every kind of rain there is. Little bitty stingin' rain... and big ol' fat rain. Rain that flew in sideways. And sometimes rain even seemed to come straight up from underneath. Shoot, it even rained at night...'
  • The food will be awesome - a fusion of Vietnamese and Thai - I will have to learn the word for dog because it will be on every menu and I DON'T want to eat it
  • I will constantly be sick for the first two months, with a funny tummy.... gross!
  • The k'mai people will be friendly and helpful, of course I'm not stupid, I know this won't apply to ALL people, or maybe it will and that will be another assumption that I can cross off my list
  • Angkor Wat will not exceed my expectations but maybe some of the other temples will amaze me... Temples just aren't really 'my thing'
  • I will only have homesickness until the three month mark :-P
  • The markets, both the food and the general ones will be amazing
  • The language will be really difficult to learn
  • No one will write me REAL mail, yes, this is reverse psychology :-D
There might be some other assumptions, I'll have to put my thinking cap on...

Until next time,

E

2 comments:

  1. Wow Elysse! what a fantastic adventure your embarking on!!! Can't wait to read your blogs and find out how it all goes!!! Love Jess, John & Caitlyn xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jess - I only just saw this comment then! Hope you are all well! Chat soon :-)

    ReplyDelete