April 25, 2011

Senses...


This place is a sensual over load, there is just so much to take in! 

We were all a bit ‘down beat’ today because of the lack of sleep and the overwhelming nature of the adventures that we are about to pursue.  The six of us still managed to get an ok feel of the vibe of PP as we spent the afternoon wandering the paths and streets, which range in surface from a velvet looking buffalo grass to sand to bitumen to rubble and everything in between. 

The smell of the city is most definitely not unpleasant, but there are times when it is pungent and other times that make you start to salivate. 

It’s a busy place but not as crazy as I had imagined, you definitely have to follow the ‘just close your eyes and walk’ mentality but even with that being said, there is an order to the traffic, even if I haven’t worked it out yet, that will come with time, I’m sure! 

The tastes are amazing and I can’t wait to start cooking classes. For lunch I had a perfectly balanced soup, packed with fish, fresh vegetables and eggs, although I mainly avoided the fish and egg at this stage (trying to let my stomach adjust – would prefer not to have to run to the loo tomorrow whilst we are meeting with the ambassador!) I would definitely jump in next time around. We trialled the local beer and I was very pleasantly surprised! The meal was started with some complimentary slightly salty, slightly sweet peanuts and finished with some pineapple that you dabbed into a chilli infused salt. All of this only cost USD3!!! Bek, Jacqui, Irena, Vijay, Guy (VIDA that we only met at the airport today) and I then made our way to the river, by the time we got there we were hot, sweaty, parched and badly in need of a drink. We decided to get our first tuk tuk and drove back to our hotel. Located directly opposite is a quaint, westernised café called Jacob’s Well (I remember this because I can see it out of my window!). Not only do they have air conditioning but also some amazing juices, four of us decided to try a lychee and mint concoction which Boost or Java Juice should definitely put on their menu. For the next two weeks we will be taking full advantage of not only the juices at this café but also the free wifi! 

The sounds of the city are the friendly ‘beep beeps’ of car horns, the barks of local dogs and the constant hum of lawnmowers… or at least it sounds that way – its actually the constant hum of motorbikes. Just having a relax now, after a visit to the supermarket (they stock Harvey Fresh milk, and have the most amazing tropical fruit I’ve ever seen) and before we head out for dinner!

P.S. Photos to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment